Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Test confirming Multiple Sclerosis

So I slept through my MRI's today with the assistance of some anxiety medication and a pair of ear plugs.  I asked the technician if I snored and she said that I breathed kind of different a couple of times and they had to redo 2 takes.  LOL  Testing started around 9:15 and was over at 10:45.  I had quite a nice little snooze.

My lumbar puncture didn't go so well.  Dr. Stephenson shot some lidocaine into my back to numb me up, however it didn't go deep enough into my back.  After poking around with the syringe, she decided to pull it out and try to numb a little deeper into my back.  Then she put the syringe back in, but couldn't really get anywhere because she thinks I have calcification on my vertebrae.  I told her to keep going, but she said she really didn't want to torture me and to continue, it would be torture.

Dr. Stephenson was able to pull up the pics from my MRI and showed specific changes in my brain and quite a few lesions.  She said that with the lesions and my clinical records, she was diagnosing me as having M.S.  We discussed going to the radiology department to have the lumbar puncture performed to verify the MRI results.  The dr. said that regardless the results from the lp, her diagnosis would remain the same. 

I am to follow up in 4 weeks and bring along a family member and or close family friend so we can discuss the MS diagnosis and a treatment plan.  Dr. Stephenson would also like to run a visual evoked response or potential (VER or VEP) test due to my having had optic neuritis twice.

I'm going to find out if I can get a copy of the MRI report and hopefully I can post something on here about that.

On a separate note, Richard sat and read the small booklet I brought home from the dr.'s office, which is a very good thing.  I'm going to try to get him and Simone to go to the follow up appointment with me.

Guess that's it for now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment