Sunday, February 27, 2011

VEP Test

Madelyn went with me today to the sleep lab at Hendrick Medical Center for the VEP (Visual Evoked Potential) test Dr. Stephenson ordered.  We both looked horrible because we were at a Girl Scout cookie booth sale in the 40 mph wind for several hours and of course my dear, sweet, wonderful child took the opportunity to take this pic of me and also shot several videos while I was unable to see what she was doing.


Dr. Duke was a very interesting doctor.  Madelyn said that if he grew his hair out a little bit and dyed it, he could be a clown.  The two of them cut up quite a bit and he even egged her on in taking pics. 

Dr. Duke and I visited a little while he was hooking me up to his machine.  He asked if I knew why I was there and I told him that I assumed the testing was because I'd had Optic Neuritis twice and they wanted to make sure my optic nerves were okay.  He said that no, the test was to see the extent of the demylination in my central nervous system.  As soon as the first phase of testing began, Dr. Duke said right off the bat that my reactions were slow, which means that sheath is coming off and that my treatment should be more aggresive than what he first thought based on our brief discussion prior to testing.  I told him that I didn't really want to be on any medication and he promptly told me that I should want my nerves to be intact.  Dr. Duke advised that I should be at 100 to 103 and I was at 108 and 109.   During the third phase of the testing, he said "You definitely have some stuff going on and between you, me, and the walls, I'd get a little protective and agressive in dealing with this."  (I am only able to say this with 100% accuracy because of the video Madelyn shot.)

I'm not sure what all of this means in regard to my deciding not to take the Copaxone.  I guess I'll have to wait to hear what Dr. Stephenson says in April.   

No comments:

Post a Comment