Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Power of the Facsimile!

Due to my continual itchies and problems communicating with my doctor's office, I decided to send a fax to Dr. Stephenson to clear up the confusion that seems to occur when I talk to her nurse.  I only sent the fax after I was talking to my friend, Karmen, whose sister-in-law is a doctor and commented about how her patients could (but don't) write her. 

So....here's the letter I sent to Dr. Stephenson:

Dear Dr. Stephenson:

I recently contacted your office to get a refill on my Gabapentin prescription and to see if adjustments could be made to my dosage.  There was some confusion apparently as Yvonne (the dingbat nurse) conveyed your concern about my taking the medication if I was itching.  I explained to her at that time that I was on the medication because of itching and do not suffer any adverse reactions from the medication.  I went on to explain that I needed the dosage increased from 300mg to 600mg as I sometimes have to take all three (3) pills each night before bed to control the itching that plagues me.  There are times that I have to take Gabapentin during the day; however I usually have the problem at bedtime or through the night.  The medication dosage was changed to one (1) 600mg pill daily (down from 900mg per day) for only 30 days, which is completely ineffective.  I read on the bottle to avoid alcohol as it will intensify the effect of the drug; however I am seriously contemplating becoming a drunk just to control the itches.  I’m scarred and scabbed over from scratching the itches and just need some relief!

I apologize for contacting you via facsimile, but I am at my wit’s end in dealing with the itching as is my husband (I keep him up during the night because of my incessant scratching even in my sleep).  I don’t understand why I need to make an appointment to resolve a medication issue from a problem we discussed on March 21, 2011.  It is my understanding that a maximum dosage of 1800mg can be taken daily.  Is this something that can be prescribed for me instead of just 600mg daily or is there something else that would possibly be more effective?

Please have Yvonne call me after you have reviewed this letter to see if there is any resolution that can be had prior to my follow up appointment on September 22, 2011.  I can be contacted during the day at (***) ***-**** or (***) ***-**** and my email address is athenasheffield@yahoo.com.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

I was at lunch today with my friend Shannon when my phone rang with a number I didn't recognize.  It was Dr. Stephenson, who just happens to be out of Texas on vacation.  She advised her office forwarded my fax to her and she wanted to discuss upping my medication with me.  Dr. Stephenson said that she gradually titrates Gabapentin over time, however since I've already taken 3 at a time in the evening...she will have her office call in a new prescription for three (3) 300mg  each night and one to two daily as needed.   Dr. Stephenson asked if I'd experienced any dizziness, lethargy, sleepiness, etc., which I told her that I hadn't experienced any adverse effects from the medication.  She went on to say that she wants to see me on July 8, 2011 so she can perform a neurological test just to make sure there are no adverse effects that I might not know to look for. 

So....my fax was very effective (yay!), I'm getting my medication upped (big yay!!!) and I have to go see the doctor, which I didn't want to do (boo!). 

The lesson learned here is that sometimes we have to go straight to the doctor, bypassing the nurse, whether it be in person, letter, or facsimile and that it's okay to contact doctors in ways other than just office visits!

No comments:

Post a Comment