Friday, June 28, 2013

Tecfidera (BG-12)

It's been so long since I last blogged so I'll do a quick recap just in case I've missed something.  I'm now on my fourth neurologist (Dr. Harris) because everyone seems to leave the Abilene area.  The guy I'm going to now is based in San Angelo and comes to Abilene once a month.  I really like him and even though I've had problems with my insurance covering his office visits, I'll probably continue on with him as he swears he isn't moving off somewhere.

I was scheduled to see him in August, however I called him at the end of May and ended up getting in to see him June 6, 2013.  He asked what brought me in early and I told him that I'm done with injections.  Dr. Harris sat there quietly for a prolonged minute, cocked his head to the side, and then asked "okay...then how do you feel about the new pill".  Tecfidera (BG-12) was just approved by the FDA at the end of March and I know doctors are very leery of newly approved drugs and asked him about this.  Dr. Harris advised he was a part of a trial study and has actually had 5 or 6 patients on it for several years.  I was so excited and quickly said YES!

I received my medication on June 26, 2013 and started taking it immediately.  The top side effects are flushing and gastrointestinal issues, but thankfully I've only had minor flushing.  I hear that the third week is brutal, but I'm hoping that I just sail right through it with no problems.  I do have my Pepto, Tums, and Maalox here at work with me just in case. 

Now I just have to remember to take these pretty little pills every morning and evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment