Monday, October 8, 2012

Changes and New Medication

I haven't blogged in a while as I really didn't have anything new to report.  But now I have news to share so I'm blogging.

Dr. Stephenson, my neurologist, left the practise where she was and I was switched to Dr. Baker's care.  Dr. Baker wasn't comfortable with me not using the tried and true MS medications, but said that she really couldn't argue with the Curcumin IF it was working for me and stopping any new lesions from occurring.  Dr. Baker went on to advise she was leaving the practise in August 2012 and that she wanted me to go ahead and get another MRI so the next doctor would have it in hand when he reviewed my file.  She also wasn't happy with me taking the medication for itching as there wasn't any way the MS could cause the itching, it must be an allergy, and wants me to see a skin doctor.

I went in on June 14, 2012 for a MRI and apparently Dr. Baker was not pleased as I have several new spots on my brain and one on my spine.  She said that my MS is more severe than originally thought and that I have to get on the injections immediately.  I asked her about the itching and she advised that yes, with the lesion on my spine, she could understand that being a MS related problem.

I saw Dr. Alexander in September and he advised I had an episode in August (extreme fatigue and a two week long headache).  We set up training for weekly Avonex injections.  I was very leery of the side effects as the number one complaint is flu like symptoms.  I've now taken 4 injections, slowly titrating up from 1/4th to a full dose over a 4 week period of time with only mild side effects the last injection.  I also had to get a flu shot since my immune system is being suppressed by the medication.  My training and first shot was somewhat traumatic in that after I finally injected myself, I immediately got dizzy and the nurse said it was because I was so nervous going into it, it was my endorphins burning off. 

I decided on Avonex, even though the injection goes into the muscle, since it's only once a week vs. Copaxon which is a daily injection.  I am not good with daily medications, much less daily injections.  I know I have to inject myself every Friday night a couple of hours before bedtime.  I use ice packs, which cut down on the uncomfortableness associated with shots, and ibuprofen.  I have training this Friday for the Avonex pen, which I'm told is a shorter needle.  I'm not sure how it'll get into my muscle through my fat, but I'm told it will and not to worry.  I figure 52 shots a year sure beats 365 shots a year!

So that's where I'm at now.  I'm becoming a pro at self-injecting.  And while I can't say that I'm happy about injecting on a weekly basis, I am happy to know that I'm helping myself in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment