Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dr.'s appointment

My primary care physician called on Tuesday and advised I would have to make an appointment to get a referral to a neurologist.  Yea...a trip to the doctor that I really don't need.

So I went today and met with a nurse practitioner (Marilyn) that I've not seen before.  She talked to me for almost an hour, which I must say was totally unexpected.  Marilyn said that there were several things she would like to see happen, but first and foremost, a trip to the neurologist was in order.  She spoke highly of the neurologist that I'd seen and thought that it was very admirable on his part to handle my case the way he did given my lack of insurance.  Marilyn spoke at length about depression, which I told her I didn't have.  She questioned sleep apnea (regarding my being tired all the time), several different blood tests due to my hysterectomy 7+ years ago and being almost 40, my dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine levels, thyroid, etc.  Marilyn said that after I am treated by the neurologist, she might have me visit an endocrinologist as well as put me on a low thyroid medication.  Marilyn also said that she would probably consult with the neurologist regarding the suggested blood tests as well as telling me I'd have to have a MRI and possibly a lumbar puncture. I told her I was fine with the MRI, but wasn't too sure about the other test. 

Marilyn did not state any suspected condition on my file, only symptoms.  I told her that I've been paranoid for so long about having the "M.S." label put on my record that I'd prefer not to see it on her file until we have a definitive diagnosis.  She completely agreed. 

I guess that's it for now.  I'm awaiting a call from the new neurologist to schedule an appointment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment